Friday, June 22, 2007

A Ride Down Memory Lane

*The following post doesn`t have pictures of pretty scenery or interesting places in Japan. It is merely a reminiscence of the great times that I had in Setagaya Ward in Tokyo during my primary school (grade school) days in the mid 1990`s.
Today`s ride was an extremely meaningful one for me. Ever since I left Japan in 1995, I have always dreamed of going back to revisit the quiet suburb in Setagaya Ward of Tokyo where I spent 3 great years of my primary school life.
I stayed in Setagaya Ward from 1992 to 1995 between the train stations of Futago-tamagawa-en and Yoga. School for me was at St. Mary`s International School near Futago-tamagawa-en Station. Today, my ride will take me from Keith`s place in Kamishakuji to St. Mary`s International School by the station then back to my old house in Yoga. I did not have any addresses or road names to work with, so I will be relying on my 12 year old memories of cycling to and from school.
My first stop down memory lane was this slope that led up to St. Mary`s International School from Futago-tamagawa-en Station. The game centers (known in Singapore as arcades) used to be one of my favorite hangout spots with my buddies. These game centers were usually concentrated around the station areas so you can probably guess that I took many a walk down this slope with my friends to visit these centers!
During grade school, one of the `in` sports at that time was Dodgeball. Although it was not an official inter-school sport, we played it almost everyday during recess and lunchtimes! Below is the field where we would usually have our games.
Entering the school, I had hoped to be able to meet a few of my former teachers, but unluckily, the summer vacation had just started a week ago and all the teaching staff were on holiday too. So, I had to make do with a leisurely self-guided tour around my old campus.
My 4th grade classroom - the furniture`s still the same after more than a decade
The main hallway where I walked up and down countless times in my time there
Touring the classrooms, I found out that one of my favorite teachers, Ms. Hagenson who taught me in the 4th grade was still teaching! Apparently, she`s taking care of a 6th grade class now. I would have liked to meet her again, but like I said, it was the summer vacation now....
When I was in the 6th grade going onto the 7th grade, I finally started getting involved in some serious sports for the first time in my life. I still remember Mr. Moody, my swimming coach who recruited me into the swimming team and spent training session after training session trying to get me to perfect my breaststroke. Of course, I was never the star swimmer, but getting into the swim team was a really great opportunity for me to build my self-confidence at that time and also to get to know the older kids in the team.

In the 7th grade, I met Mr. Sava, who got me to try out for the basketball team. Below is the court where I actually touched a basketball for the first time. Although I really sucked at basketball while I was at St. Mary`s, I`m thankful that he introduced me to the sport that was to be the main focus of my life during my secondary and JC days back in Singapore!

One of my best friends during my time in St. Mary`s International School was Christopher Cruz. Its sad that I didn`t get his contact when I left Japan, but guess what I saw when I was walking along the school corridors today - he was on the varsity wrestling team! hahaha... Unbelievable... he used to be shorter than me and really scrawny, but in the picture below, he looks FIERCE... haha...
Chris Cruz - Center Picture
Another one of the classrooms that I spent a lot of time in
The huge playground where most of the grade school kids would chiong to during lunchtime
The tennis courts where I spent many weekends in 7th grade trying to improve my basketball
Besides cycling to school, I also took the school bus rather often. Below is the exact same bus that I used to take to school 12 years ago - Bus #4. I still remember the bus uncle used to act grumpy and all, but was actually a very nice guy. He would illegally stop the bus at the public busstop on my side of the road just so that I wouldn`t have to risk crossing the road by myself!
This is an interesting spot. One of the years, on the first day of school, I was so excited to see my friends that I ran towards them. And, it was exactly at that curb that I tripped, fell and skinned my knee. I think I still have a scar on my knee from that fall... hahahaha....
After spending almost 2 hours at St. Mary`s International School, I head back for my old home near Yoga station via the route that I used to cycle home by. Amazingly, I could still remember the way and I made it back to Yoga without even getting the least bit lost! And that`s after leaving the place for more than a decade! haha...
The little canal behind my old apartment lined with sakura trees that would bloom beautifully in the spring
The pathway to my old house - the brown building and the busstop that the nice grumpy uncle would drop me at
The small garden in front of my apartment where I would build snowmen in the winter
My sister`s old school - Seisen International School, directly opposite our apartment
I had lots of memories at this park below too - playing dodgeball with my friends, using the playground and the sandpit... Today, it was my lunch spot.
I used to love collecting `Dragonball` cards during grade school. It was something like Pokemon now... hahaha.... yeap, so this little bookstore was where I usually bought my cards.... lol

From my house, it was a 10 minute ride to Yoga station. Again, I took the same route that I took everytime I went to the station with my mom. The station area changed quite a lot but I guess it was still recognizable... hahaha....
From Yoga station, it was time to make my way back to Kamishakuji. The ride today was really great and cycling through my old neighborhood and revisiting my old school really brought memories of the good times I had there. Its just as well that I visited St. Mary`s when I did cause starting next year, they`ll be tearing down the place and rebuilding a brand new school complex in its stead.
In some ways, the ride today seemed to be a form of closure as I end my student life and begin a new phase of my life - a working adult.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alvan, is this you? This is Nackie, we were in the same grade in SM. Not sure if you remember me, but I'm sure you remember Joo Young and Michael Burghart. Genki?

If it is you, shoot me an email at nao.hasegawa@gmail.com

If this is someone else, you're still a SM alum, so email me anyway.

take care.

Eric said...

Alvin, came across this blog man like Nackie did. It's Eric Silverstein. If you get this comment, email me at ecsilverstein@gmail.com. I would love to catch up. Last I remember I sat in front of you in Mr. Ofstedal's class 16 years ago.

lijen said...

Yo... decided to read your blog on a whim since its your bday and i was thinking of you! what a nostalgic post.. hope you got in touch with your friends who commented here! reading the entries made me laugh, esp the parts where you noted that you had to get ready earlier to give yourself sufficient time to get from one place to another. that is so you...! :)