Thursday, June 14, 2007

Goodbye to the Japanese いなか (Countryside)

Leaving Nikko at 7am today, I head for the final pass of my journey - Hosoo Pass. Compared to the other passes, this one was more like a hill, at 964m above sea level. Taking national highway #122 through the top of the pass, I leave Nikko City and head for Kiryu City, my stop for the night.
The way to Kiryu was a nice countryside road along the side of the mountains. Very pretty and probably my last chance to cycle on such roads!
Downhill from Hosoo Pass

Below is the entrance to Ashio Town, which was along national highway #122.

Taking a break at Kusagi Lake and Kusagi Bridge

The Road, the Rail and the River

My last glimpse of the Japanese countryside

As I rounded this final curve in the road, the urban sprawl of the Kanto Plains greeted me even as I said goodbye to the beautiful Japanese countryside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No looking back :)

Anonymous said...

元気ですか?